Hardwood floors are popular because of their beauty, elegance and sophistication. Cleaning and maintaining hardwood comes with its own set of challenges and guidelines. This type of flooring can dull, scratch, crack, warp or splinter. For professional assistance, check with local residential cleaning services in Connecticut. With proper care and cleaning, hardwood floors will stay in ideal shape for many years to come.
Regular Cleaning and Maintenance
Always follow the flooring manufacturer’s recommendations for cleaning. Each type of wood and coating has its own method of care. In general, the best way to maintain hardwood floors is to keep them clean of loose dirt and debris. Small particles of dirt move across the floor, scratching and dulling the wood. It is a good idea to sweep the floors with a broom at least once a week. Minimize the amount of dirt tracked in from outside by placing floor mats at each entrance.
Caring for scuff marks, small scratches and white spots should be done as necessary. Use a hardwood floor cleaner that is professionally recommended by a residential cleaning service in Connecticut to remove scuff marks. White spots caused by water damage can be cleaned using fine steel wool and mineral spirits.
Companies with hardwood flooring will need to perform cleaning and maintenance on a much more intense schedule. Many businesses choose to hire commercial cleaning services in Connecticut to take care of the daily and weekly tasks.
- Keep the pet’s nails trimmed and filed.
- Use only cleaners that will not leave a residue.
- Clean spills immediately to prevent it penetrating the wood.
- Do not wax the floor or use a urethane finishing product unless specifically instructed to do so.
- Avoid ammonia or oil-based cleaners. These will dull the finish and make it difficult to re-coat.
- Never use a wet mop or steam mop on wood floors. The wood will expand when it is wet and may warp, crack or splinter.
Damage and Wear and Tear
With time, the floor will wear down and become damaged. At that time, it might be necessary to hire a residential or commercial cleaning service in Connecticut to re-finish or buff the floors. Severe damage or wear and tear may require sanding down to the original wood and refinishing it. If the damage is localized and the rest of the floor is in good shape, ask around at residential cleaning services in Connecticut to see if replacement boards are available.
- Ask cleaning services in Connecticut for recommendations of safe cleaning products.
- Sweep floors often to keep dirt and debris from scratching and dulling the floor.
- Always use a broom or dry mop; never use a wet mop or steam.
- Place mats at every entrance and clean shoes thoroughly. Consider adopting a no-shoes policy.
- Both residential and commercial cleaning services can re-finish, buff, screen and sand hardwood floors safely.
- Always use a professional service when performing more than routine cleaning to avoid further damage.
If you’re interested a cleaning service but are having trouble getting started, contact us today!